Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:38:46 -0700
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in -CURRENT [was Re: Plea to committers to only commit to HEAD if you run -current {from developers@FreeBSD.org}]

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 12:12:02PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> What -j value did you use?  Anyway, "so what"?  `make buildworld' isn't
> the most stressful thing.  To better stress things, do
> `make -j<10*number CPU> buildworld', and a few other processes that
> allocate/deallocate memory, span processes, etc..  Ie, add some
> dissimilarity to the mix.

Try 6 to 12 simultaneous portbuild jobs, that will beat make -j20
buildworld on any metric (mostly when you are building something
as large as KDE).  I've done that on P4 1.7GHz / 768MB / 40GB ATA
boxes and when a few large (1000+ file) packages are being untarred
simultaneously, there frequently becomes a tar(1) or two exiting
with a signal 4, or a gcc exiting with a signal 11 before it's
done.  That's on a July 31 -CURRENT kernel FWIW, and before ~July
1, this never happened.  Normally I just cron another run to
finish the ones that spontaneously SIG4/SIG11'd, and that
finishes the remaining jobs.

Currently I'm doing another test build with DISABLE_PSE and
DISABLE_PG_G in the kernel to see how that handles.  As of yet,
there have been exactly *ZERO* SIG4/SIG11's this build.  That
has never happened since KSE MIII, and I've done at least ten or
fifteen full builds since then.  :-)

Regards,
--
wca