Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:20:32 -0700
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reference count invariants in a fine-grained threaded environment

}
}However it's impossible to stick a mutex into a 'uint'.
}

	I agree that we really want to have atomic types. However
you are making the assumption that there is a one to one mapping
between atomic variables and mutice when they are implemented as
mutexs. In reality these mutice are so shortly held that a many to
one mapping works just fine. It may be that the size required to
hold the variable is just the variable size where the address of
the variable is used to compute the mutex which protects the
variable. Having real types does lets us do things like store a
pointer to the mutex with the data if we wanted to.

Chuck