Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 18:36:38 -0700
From:      "Ulairi" <ulairi@jps.net>
To:        "Bart Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        "Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: odd minor problems

| Hi,
| 	Sorry for the constant barrage of stupid questions, but
| I'm finally
| starting to get into this stuff although I am still a total newbie
:)
| Thanks for the support so far! It really helps!
|
| When I use whereis to find a file this always happens:
|
| /whereis of
| Warning: couldn't stat file /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/man!
| of:
|
| This happens as root or as a user, what does it mean?

Means the file /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/man that the CATMAN tries
to access is no there. Need to find what says it's supposed to be
there and change it :)

| And if I am in a user account and I try to "su" or "su root"
| this happens:
|
| /home/btrzynadlowski%su
| su: you are not in the correct group to su root
|
| What is the "correct group" then?
from "man su":
 Only users who are a member of group 0 (normally ``wheel'') can su to
     ``root''.  If group 0 is missing or empty, any user can su to
``root''.

| And it always says I have new mail. When I go into mail I
| find 17 messages
| from various dates and times and they're subject and bodies
| are the same.
| Here is the subject:
|
| Nvi saved file .cshrc
|
| The system places all of these in my mailbox, but why?

because you're root :)
do "rm /var/mail/root" and you cleaned out your mail box :)

| And last but not least... how come I can mount my cd9660
| cdrom in 4 ways:
|
| mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0a /cdrom
| mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom
| mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /cdrom
| mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0c /cdrom
|
| Why are wcd0a, wcd0c, acd0a, and acd0c all the same?
Just out of curiosity, why is that a problem? In any event, the reason
you can do that is because the IDE CDROM you have is technically a
device on the wd0 controller, so it's there. It is, in my
understanding, a "atapi CD" device - hence acd0a device.
the "c" variation are just different slices - for a CD, I do not think
that makes a diff (then again, I could be WAY off, like I usually am)
:)