Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:09:39 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
To:        Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 RELASE & CAM boot.flp: Unable to create a new /etc/fstab file!

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Miroslav Kes wrote:
I am having the identical problem. I did fiddle and get it to go a little
further. I am installing 3.0-current on:
Dual P II-300
196 MB RAM
Adaptec 2940U2W
Quantum 6.4G SCSI drive
Jaz Drive

I am actually installing onto a Jaz disk. I changed the boot rom from 0
(the quantum drive with NT on it) to 4 (the blank Jaz disk) The install
stopped at the /etc/fstab point on the first try. I did some fiddling, ie
tried the fixit floppy, into a shell, and looked around. The directories
where there.
The install, when in debug mode says that /etc does not exist. I rebooted
the next day and tried the same procedure. Instead of re-partitioning and
formatting, I didn't make any changes in the partitioner, and set the
mount points again in the labeller.
The install went further this time. It crapped out when it tried to
mount my DOS partition on the SCSI 6.4 drive.

In fooling with the Emergency Holographic Doctor (Er, Shell), I noticed
that programs like mount, mkdir and such live on the fixit floppy. I tried
copying those to /usr/bin, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am
stuck. Don't know if my creating a /usr/bin will hurt anything either.

-Mike