Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 01:07:26 -0500
From:      csg@waterspout.com (C. Stephen Gunn)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        wollman@lcd.mit.edu, wpaul@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who's using 802.1Q VLAN Support?

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 10:45:50 PST, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

> Well, given that we're coming up on a deadline here, I may just
> bring them in without review unless you can take a look at them
> in a timely fashion.

Jordan,

With lots of further testing, these patches do defintely help.  I
still can't reliably debug an mbuf crash that happens within 5-10
minutes of bringing up the vlans with some traffic though.  All
the backtrace tells me is that someone smashed the buffer. <sigh>

At the very least, I'd like to see the ability to compile a kernel
with ti0 and vlan turned on in 3.4-RELEASE.  A kernel config
that doesn't link is pretty embarassing.  The ifconfig support
is required as well to actually configure and use the vlan devices.

I understand that 3.0 was -CURRENT (and bleeding edge) when this
was originally committed. (Garrett's work in progress).  Bill Paul,
who's been graciously chatting with me on IRC about these issues,
added some hardware tag support (also incomplete).

Now it's in the -STABLE branch, which it ain't.  My patches do fix
problems in the code, but it's not functional enough for -STABLE
IMNSHO.  (No Offense to Bill & Garrett's free-time-constraied, and
appreciated efforts)

If you're not willing to commit (which I fully understand), then
I recommend removal if_vlan.c and the hooks in ti0 from -STABLE,
until it's a little less volatile.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn                          URL: http://www.waterspout.com/