Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 22:28:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@durham>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996 sos@freebsd.org wrote:

> > > Of course, the absolute topper would be to hack the BIOS rom so that
> > > it natively boots to something your monitor can handle!  ;-) .
> >
> > 	Well, a shareware  BIOS (Dr.Bios) exists out  there -- does it come
> > 	with sources ?
>
> You don't need to hack the video BIOS (its the one on the video
> card you would want to change not the motherboard one :) ), it
> should do it by makeing an extra BIOS rom whith the needed code
> in it, at let it register AFTER the std video BIOS has done its trick.

Hmmm... where would you plug it in?

I wasn't aware that you could replace the video mode set routines
in the BIOS with code from another ROM, as you do with drivers, etc.

Just where does syscons.c start functioning in the boot process? What
messages would you see if you just hacked the starting mode in the
syscons.c file to work with the fixed-freq monitors? Would you only
miss the AMI BIOS messages about system config?

-Jim Durham