Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 09:43:10 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 11012 for review

Julian Elischer [julian@elischer.org] wrote :

> Jonathan Mini wrote:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~peter/p4db/chv.cgi?CH=11012
> >
> > Change 11012 by mini@mini_stylus on 2002/05/08 08:32:05
> >
> >         - pass thread's instead of proc's to CURSIG() and issignal()
> >         - mark a thread TDS_UNQUEUED when blocking it while its parent
> >           handles its signal (via ptrace(2)).
> >
> >         This make gdb work properly again, and fixed ptrace(2) on normal
> >         processes.
>
> This will probably mean that what we have is capable of almost being committed.

I think we are pretty close. Some locking problems appear when the ksetest
program is run a large (100+ or so) times, those should probably be fixed
first.

> You and jhb said that the thread allocator could be rewritten using the new
> uma mechanisms. if that is done, then we could check in what we have
> minus some changes that are dependent on comments from others..

That is done, and checked in. There are a few problems with it still.

> (I think DES would like to have a go at the ptrace changes)

Sure. Also, gdb doesn't work too well on threaded apps, but I think that
is expected at this point.

> Is the system stable with only non KSE processes?

I haven't noticed any problems with non-KSE processes, however I haven't done
any real testing.

> If we could generate good diffs it would help
> others to look and comment.

Yeah. Other than the cleanups I've mentioned above (some locking, and the
uma stuff needs a second pass), my next goal is to get clean diffs so that
we can start the review process.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.haikugeek.com

"He who is not aware of his ignorance will be only misled by his knowledge."
                                                        -- Richard Whatley