Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 00:29:59 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalidating pack messages

On Jun 21,  2:36pm, Nick Slager wrote:

} I pulled out the power supply this morning, and replaced it with a brand new
} unit. The system has just crashed again with the 'Invalidating pack' error
} messages.

[ snip ]

} If this is the case (and I'm not doubting what you say), what else could cause
} this problem?

If your seeing funny blinking lights on the drive, and you are not the only
person having problems with this particular drive model, I would be very
suspicious that a drive firmware bug is being tickled.  The best solution
in this case would be to obtain a better version of the firmware from the
vendor, but lacking that you might try turning off tagged command queueing
or just reducing the number of tagged openings.  I've noticed interactions
between tagged command queueing and write caching on Seagate drives, so you
might try turning off write caching and leaving the number of tagged
openings alone.  You can do all this with camcontrol.

I'm not a fan of write caching since it violates the assumptions behind
softupdates, so I turn it off on all my drives.  I haven't seen any
real performance penalty in doing so, though I think I've heard reports
that it makes newfs run slower.

You may be seeing this in FreeBSD and not NT because I think the CAM SCSI
system can push the drives a lot harder than the SCSI drivers in NT.