Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 2004 00:08:35 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Question about portlint WARN/FATAL errors

Randy Pratt wrote:

> I ran portlint on quite a few existing ports and was quite surprised
> at the amount of WARN and FATAL errors that existed. [...]
> I started looking at other categories/ports and noticed that there
> seemed to be a lot of WARN/FATAL.  You can see what I mean by
>
> # cd /usr/ports/textproc
> # for i in *; do echo "======="; echo $i; portlint $i; done | less

Try
   /usr/local/share/examples/portlint/portlintgrep ^FATAL

then fix some of these. If you find one FATAL error where you believe
the port is correct, submit a patch to portlint to turn it into a
warning.

Some of these are harmless, but a few make writing new stuff for
bsd.port.mk really hard. Sometimes portlint is really braindead, but
generally it's a helpful tool.

-Oliver