Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 08:42:32 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
Cc:        rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apology for multiple posts (Re: Complete FreeBSD, 3rd edition)

Jim Mock wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > > You might want to look into PC-Pine. I use it under 95 at work
> > > with no problems.
> > >

> > Hmmm, sounds good. Any idea where to get it? URL?
> >

> http://www.washington.edu/pine/pc-pine/

OK guys. I d/l'd it and installed it and I LIKE IT :-).

Just as a test I copied my (2.5MB) Netscape Inbox to C:\MAIL\inbox to
try it out. Wow, fast or what :-).

Also a good example of sensible GUI programming I thought. Why waste
system resources drawing lots of pretty buttons when you can make the
text point-and-click-able??.

Now for the bad news :-(. It appears it only works with IMAP servers
(I must confess that I haven't trawled the Website yet looking for
FAQ's etc.) but both the servers I use are POP3.

My work e-mail, which I use wherever possible, is fairly easy, I can
dial into the LAN and rcp the mail file from the server. It's just a
bit messy that I'd have to make sure my inbox was empty or concatente
the new mail to the end of the inbox.

How I could do this with my ISP e-mail is beyond me, I can't just rcp
from that.

I take it ``send'' uses SMTP, so as long as I've set up the hostname
and domain of the SMTP server, and am dialled into the company LAN
then it should send mail OK.

Can you offer any help/suggestions/advice?

TIA

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com