Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 21:13:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mail Archive <archive@cps.cmich.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>, Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Donations (was Re: Second appeal for sup ...)

On Thu, 7 Dec 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > IF and only if people will donate the hardware for this. I can afford to
> > spend the 100$ a month a friend of mine will charge to put a machine in
> > Chicago Nap. This could be connected at atleast 10Mbit and possibly
> > 100Mbit depending on wether or not the hardware is available. This would
> > locate the machine in the worlds heaviest backbone node and be great
> > access for everyone. All I ask from this machine is a spot to run a low
> > use Web server from ( 300 - 400 hits a week) I would also be willing to
> > maintain this piece of hardware for nothing more than this use.
>
> I'd be interested in pursuing this.  Are you sure you have the
> authorization to provide people with receipts and such?  If so, I
> would recommend that people simply send the hardware directly to you
> since it would not be a project donation in that case (at least not
> directly, though indirectly it would be quite nice).

For chicago I can not take NPO money but off from a dual homed T1 I can
take NPO money. I as you know have moved to FreeBSD from linsux. I have
spent the last 5 months making my move in our department. I now have 250
PC's running FreeBSD 2.1 most of which usually run WinNT or Win95 but
they can reboot and work in unix if they wish. Th only this I need from
donations are value ( I would probably request that they buy the product
from Rod Grimes or another vendor the university already works with)
mainly so I know we are not giving receipts out for more than the product
costs. I need to have original sales receipts as well.

The university would then ship them a receipt for their donation.

I would probably have to have the parts tagged (Computer Center/Computer
Science/ FreeBSD Project) inorder for the product to get directed to the
right location.

If you think this is a viable option I would like to start working on it
right away. I would like to use our current P5-133 FTP/WEB server to
start this project. This gives us a starting point and we can build from
there giving the CS Department back a little of their investment.

Mainly the big piece I need is more ram and a 3940 SCSI controller.

I currently use a pair of 2940's a PCI ethernet and a PCI video which was
purchased from Rod Grimes. The machine is 48Meg P5-133 256Sync Cache and
7gigs of drive. I can give accounts to the various developers/porters so
that they can use a machine other than freefall to work on.

This machine is planning on living on 2.1-RELEASE until a new Release or
6months has passed one or the other. But, as hardware comes in this can be
put as a -current machine and we can have a -release machine.

If this is ok with you then I will check into the actuall semantics of
donations. This could be a big help to both of us.

This will increase our PR and help the image of department out.

The machine in Chicago would be nice, but as I said at the top this could
only be done from say FreeBSD, Inc. because I would not be able to use
donations for it, UNLESS I have the blessing of the university but I
don't think that will happen ith in a reasonable time frame.

Matthew S. Bailey
mbailey@cps.cmich.edu