Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 00:20:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Ryan Banas <banman@wwdg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 / Cable modem / 2 NIC's

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Ryan Banas wrote:

> I am using this machine as a gateway for my network. I have two
> Linksys Etherfast, 10/100 PCI PNP Cards. On the box it says they
> are compatible with various versions of unix, and I'm sure they do
> work with FreeBSD. One of them is going to my network HUB, the
> other is going to my cable modem. I have already edited and recompiled
> the kernel with PnP support and such. However, when it boots up it
> reads both cards (I imagine this is both) pn0 and pn1, but after
> each is  a line saying something about not being able to map ports.
> Thus there is no pn0/1 interface. I have searched the internet for
> the past few weeks for documentation, but none is to be found. Even
> Linksys themselves cannot give me any help.

> Any information relating to this problem, or getting the cable
> modem operating (or the ethernet cards, since I need those working
> first) is EXTREMELY appriciated, thanks!  > >

It is VERY important that you give us the EXACT error message,
there are 2 ways to get it:

a) at the install screen, hit "scroll lock" then use page-up/page-down
   keys to scroll back, (hit scroll lock again to exit the pager)

b) if you already installed, when you log in you can try this:
   "dmesg | more" you should be able to use the spacebar/enter keys
   to scroll to the error message.

It is also VERY important that you tell your mailer to format
messages at about 75 characters per line before we seond the
badly formatted email monster after you.

You may need to grab a snapshot from current.freebsd.org (ftp)
but there may be a simpler solution.

good luck,
-Alfred