Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 19:34:04 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "John Baxter" <jbaxter@mmcable.com>, "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: onitoring named

I'm not sure if your agreeing that this is the most commonly given answer,
or your stating that most nameserver problems are a result of crack
attempts.

>> It requires no real understanding of DNS by either the giver or the
>> receiver.  I guess I'm just getting sick and tired of hearing it
>> because my own experience is that most likely the problem is that
>> the DNS server has, in fact, NOT been cracked, and that the problem
>> is something more subtle.
>
>And when the originator complains "my named is dying" and gives no
>extra details, we're all supposed to put on our magic Telepathy
>Beanies and divine up the problem?

Of course!  Just like when the questioner says "I loaded FreeBSD and it
crashed"

  Yeah, that's definitely the step
>I'm missing here.  Thanks, suggestion noted!

:-)  Your right, of course that a question dashed off, with no additional
information
given, is hardly worth more than an exciting sexy answer, that anyone can
give and
almost devoid of information.  It's espically funny when they don't even
give the
version of bind and expect us to know that.

But, I was only trying to point out that we need to get more creative in our
"one liner responses to one liner questions" and that playing the security
angle has gotten so dull.

Maybe we ought to tell the next person who complains that their nameserver
is
crashing, that this means their ram is bad and to go replace it all. ;-)

Ted