Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:31:16 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        "Gene Bomgardner" <GLBJ@bellatlantic.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Startup

On 10/30/00, 8:22:34 AM, Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de> wrote
regarding Re: Startup:

> Gene Bomgardner schrieb:

> > I'm trying to do a few other things as well. When the system boots,
> > I'd like to get user ppp connected. I've got ppp_enable set in
> > rc.conf. But no such luck. Is that for kernel ppp only?

> AFAIR: yes.

RTFM (R stands for Recall here :-))

From rc.conf(5):

 ppp_enable    (bool) If set to YES, run the ppp(8) daemon.

 ppp_mode      (str) Mode in which to run the ppp(8) daemon.  Accepted
                     modes are auto, ddial, direct and dedicated. See
                     the manual for a full description.

 ppp_nat       (bool) If set to YES, enables packet aliasing.  Used in
                conjunction with gateway_enable allows hosts on
                private network addresses access to the Internet using
                this host as a network address translating router.

 ppp_profile   (str) The name of the profile to use from
                /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.

 ppp_user      (str) The name of the user under which ppp should
                     be started. By default, ppp is started as root.

<try & buy>

You will get your ppp(8) going as desired if you specify eg the
following in your /etc/rc.conf:

ppp_enable=3D"YES"
ppp_mode=3D"ddial"
ppp_nat=3D"NO"
ppp_profile=3D"my_isp_profile"

</try & buy>

Remark I
You may wish to specify your preferred mode in ppp_mode (cf
rc.conf(5), ppp(8)).

Remark II
Since I run natd(8), I explicitly set ppp_nat=3D"NO"; otherwise, ppp is
invoked with -nat.

Remark III
Related information:

vi /etc/rc.network  # vi: little delightful editor
/ppp                # search for the string "ppp"

Best regards,
Salvo