Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:31:59 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reliable probing techiniques for isa bus?

> > there is no answer..
> > yes the ports will read ff
> > they will also read ff for any other device that does not use them :)
>
> I don't think you can count on bus float to read as 0xff. Its a tri-state
> bus, not an open collector bus. If nothing is driving it then anything
> is possible.
>
> I don't have an ISA book handy, but I have seen pullup resistors in places
> that suggest bus termination. But if they are terminators they are just
> as likely to be both pull-up and pull-down at the same time.

Please, not this argument again.  If you are going to post on hardware
topics, please check your references first.  For ISA, I recommend
Solari's "AT Bus Design".

The short answer is that there *is* a standard for ISA bus termination,
and it involves fairly small pullup resistors.  Providing you're not
going back-to-back with another ISA cycle that won't have read all
high, you can be prattymuch assured of reading all ones.

mike