Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 04:23:47 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Ulairi <ulairi@jps.net>
Cc:        Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>, Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: odd minor problems

Ulairi wrote:

> | 	Sorry for the constant barrage of stupid questions, but
> | I'm finally
> | starting to get into this stuff although I am still a total newbie
> :)
> | Thanks for the support so far! It really helps!
> |
> | When I use whereis to find a file this always happens:
> |
> | /whereis of
> | Warning: couldn't stat file /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/man!
> | of:
> |
> | This happens as root or as a user, what does it mean?
>
> Means the file /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00502/man that the CATMAN tries
> to access is no there. Need to find what says it's supposed to be
> there and change it :)

Check /etc/manpath.config; the system default Perl is now 5.00503, I
beleive. Just change that 5.00502 to 5.00503, see if that helps.

> | /home/btrzynadlowski%su
> | su: you are not in the correct group to su root
> |
> | What is the "correct group" then?
> from "man su":
>  Only users who are a member of group 0 (normally ``wheel'') can su to
>      ``root''.  If group 0 is missing or empty, any user can su to
> ``root''.

And if the original user doesn't know, to add yourself to group `wheel'
just edit /etc/group and add your username to the end of the `wheel' line.

> | And it always says I have new mail. When I go into mail I find 17
> | messages from various dates and times and they're subject and bodies
> | are the same.  Here is the subject:
> |
> | Nvi saved file .cshrc
> |
> | The system places all of these in my mailbox, but why?
>
> because you're root do "rm /var/mail/root" and you cleaned out your :)
> mail box                                                            :)

Yes, but if he wants to stop getting those messages he'll have to clean
out /var/tmp/vi.recover, or just do "vi -r .cshrc" to recover the file.
After that, the messages should stop coming.

hmm.. most of this was directed at Bart... guess I picked the wrong
message to reply to.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk