Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:56:28 -0500
From:      "Steven Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@blinx.net>, "Chris Dillon" <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why two cards on the same segment...

> Yes, but, I think the issue with the 2 IP classes working is because one
is
> not routable, and therefore it's not a real
>  IP address, and the router knows this, hence it's not reacting to it by
> stopping to work. As long as you use virtual
> ip's (192.168.*.*) then there should be no reason why it wouldn't work.
> However, if your talking about a routable
> IP address, then you might have a problem, as there is a difference
between
> a virtual IP address and a real (routable)
> IP address. Just my 0.02 cents. -- Jonathan

I don't think the networking code knows/cares if something is private or
public IP space. I might be off here but I think the real problem with
two seperate networks on one card (or even on two cards) would be
the default route (can't have two right?) and which IP address gets
used as the 'source IP' on packets leaving the system.

-Steve