Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:58:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        cracauer@cons.org (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

As I recall, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> P.S. To the other commenters in this discussion. I know that there are
> a lot of very stable 3.x machines (with SMP too), I didn't doubt that.
> I just say that enough parts of the system are rotten that a
> substancial number of machines that runs fine unter 4.0 (and 3.[12]
> for me) doesn't run well on 3.4+. Hence I think it is a must for our
> reputation to turn public attention from 3.x to 4.x. Now.

Then you don't even want to hear about my 2.2-STABLE systems running
revenue generating production stuff.

They're rock solid.  Never had a panic, or unplanned reboot.  Do
what I want them to.  I have =no= (repeat, no) reason to upgrade.

New systems we build are going up as 3.4-STABLE, and I, for one,
want the 3.5 closure release.

I can understand wanting to play with the newer stuff.  But I'm not
committing bread-n-butter to anything not cooked in the field for a
while.  I'll let others pioneer.  So when I see the raft of "I just
upgraded my 3.x machine to 4.0" messages, my first reaction is
"Why?" and my second is "better you than me" and my third is "I hope
you uncover some obscure bug so it can be fixed before I get there."

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net