Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 07:42:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Van Epp <vanepp@sfu.ca>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd -s -a xxx on 4.1-RELEASE?

> I'm guessing maybe a bit of both. Why are you using -s and -a
> together? Those two flags seem almost mutually exclusive to me. I
> don't really understand what you are actually trying to do. Why is
> '-s' there?
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com

	-s is the new default in 4.1-RELEASE (and a desirable one). It stops
general access via the network to syslog to prevent floods. The -a flag
is supposed to specify which IP addresses can syslog to this host, and I had
assumed (perhaps incorrectly when I read the man page again) that it operates
in conjunction with the -s, but it doesn't actually say that, as you point
out -s says it stops all network access (which it seems to be doing) nor does
it say if I specify -a by itself that only those hosts specified will be
allowed to syslog (although that would make sense). I'll try without the -s.
Nope that still doesn't seem to work. Setting

syslogd -a 142.58.47.0/24

off doesn't get log information from a 142.58.47 host on the box which
syslogd without flags does (just tried syslogd alone to make sure ...).
Oh well, I guess I'll leave all the flags off and look at the syslogd code
later. Thanks for the help!