Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:32:48 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Dan Fairs <danfairs@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reverse dns

Dan Fairs wrote:

> This permits reverse lookups, as the resolver doing the reverse lookup
> simply reverses the address it wants to look up, bungs the
> in-addr.arpa. domain on the end, and queries the nameserver for the
> appropriate PTR record. This would return, in this case, foo.bar.com.
>
> I've skimmed over a lot of the detail here - I'd recommend the O'Reilly
> book, 'DNS and BIND', by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu, which will tell
> you everything you could ever want to know about DNS.

Yeah, sorta. In the db.212.187.0 I have '39 IN PTR nisser.com.'. Yet
that answer will only be given by my NS. Meaning a process more
or less like I decribed is being followed.

Which? Well, my copy of DNS and BIND is 10 cm out of reach. A small
step for mankind, but a big step for a programmer :).

Roelof

PS not so long ago there was an article published about setting
ones DNS op so that it would allow reverse resolving by the
target machine. Believe it was in one of the BSD zines with
a titel that included 'classless'.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.