Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:30:20 -0500
From:      douglasv@gte.net
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD root user

	FreeBSD 4.0-Release #0:Mon Mar 20 22:50:22GMT 2000
	root@monster.cdrom.com:/usr/scr/sys/compile/GENERIC i386

		This is a new install.  I am new to BSD or Unix

		Logged in as root. I am receiving :Permission denied for most request.

		For instance, /etc/group:Permission denied

				/cdrom/book/scripts/install-desktop:Permission denied

				/usr/share/doc:Permission denied

I guess root is second fiddle on my machine  (BSD is the only operating
system
on this computer.)

		Thank you,
			Doug