Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:51:54 +0100
From:      "A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven" <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, marino@freebsd.org

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

Bryan Drewery wrote:

>> If FreeBSD isn't going to enforce their own procedures and use of
>> infrastructure, I will limit my exposure to the continuing anarchy and
>> let "customer service" to those that agree that ports@ is a
>> free-for-all.

[snip]
> ports@ is a community that more people read than freebsd-ports-bugs and
> are more likely to get help and discuss how they fixed the issue. We are
> a mailing-list driven organization after all.

I hope you folks don't mind if I weigh in here.

Besides the various mailing lists we also still have the forums. Recently
some forum users have started to express their frustration at the lack of
coordination between the lists and the forums. Suggestions have been
raised that perhaps the forums should start posting mailing list digests
and/or vice versa in order to increase integration between the two media.

The forums have a special section for port issues and although many people
try to help each other it happens a bit too often (IMO) that people post a
problem and all we can do is refer them to this list because too few
port committers/maintainers/experts use the forums.

In short: if the way this list is being used (at least by some, vis-a-vis
the "dump an error log without as much as a hello"), I wouldn't mind if
people were more encouraged to try the forums, provided that enough people
with expertise are willing to start participating there.

A quick search reveals that the vast majority of (port or src) committers
have forum accounts but rarely, if ever, use them.

Just my two (euro)cents, though. Personally I'm not too bothered by the
noise on any FreeBSD mailing list I am subscribed to; I have a 'D' button
(combined with Ctrl for good measure when needed) and a ~/.procmailrc for
that.

AvW

--=20
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--