Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 01:02:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Anderson <paul@geeky1.ebtech.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Syslog log to a virtual tty?

I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, but I have extensive experience with Linux.  On
my Linux boxen, I put the following in my /etc/syslog.conf:

*.*		/dev/tty8

To pump all the log messages to the 8 virtual terminal - I find it very
handy for viewing the logs as they go by, and seeing if there are any
problems.  So, under FreeBSD I tried:

*.*		/dev/ttyv7

I have, of course, created the requisite device file using the
/dev/MAKEDEV script, and syslogd does open the terminal, I can change to
it.  The problem I'm having is that none of the log messages are sent to
the requisite terminal.  Any thoughts?  TIA.

---
Paul Anderson - Self-employed Megalomaniac
paul@geeky1.ebtech.net
Member of the Sarnia Linux User's Group
http://www.sar-net.com/slug
http://zephyr.sellad.on.ca/~paul
"Zathras have bad life, zathras probably have bad death, too, but at least is
symmetry!"