Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 13:38:55 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yamaha OPL YMF715 ?

Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 09:52:03AM +0100, Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
> wrote:
> > > The pnp device is numbered pcm1, so you must MAKEDEV pcm1 (see the
> > > archives, there is a patch to do in /dev/MAKEDEV and I don't have it
> > > onhand)

> Yamaha

> vector p\

> > Searching the archives (which I should have done first!) suggests to me
> that
> > your MAKEDEV pcm1 suggestion is a solution to someone else's problem
> (or, at
> > least, not my problem yet).  I discovered, however, that disabling the
> PNP OS
> > BIOS setting does some magic; dmesg now says:
> >
> > Probing for PnP devices:
> > CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0030 [0x3000a865] Serial 0x80860001
> > mss_attach <Yamaha SA3>1 at 0x530 irq 5 dma 0:1 flags 0x11
> > setting up yamaha registers
> > set yamaha master volume to max
> > pcm1 (CS423x/Yamaha <Yamaha SA3> sn 0x80860001) at 0x530 irq 5 drq 0
> flags 0x11
> > id 9
> > Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
> > pcm0 not found at 0xffffffff
> >
> > Next plan of action?
>
> Now is the time to update /dev/MAKEDEV, so that you make a /dev/pcm1 (and
> other audio devices), then ln -s /dev/audio to the right /dev/<I don't
> remember the exact name>1

Apologies for going off at a slight tangent here, but I've been
following this thread as I have a Yamaha OPL-SA3 based card that works
just fine, yet I have no pcm devices in /dev. Why does mine work
without them?

BTW, on my machine /dev/audio is symlinked to /dev/audio0

> You're close !!!
> (I'm at work and the patches are at home : I'm sorry I can't send them)

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com