Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 10:24:52 -0700
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Paul Sondhu <paul@riker.comcirc.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up user accounts but with no email access

> I am setting up a few user accounts on our WWW server so that users can
> FTP to the server to post up their web pages into their relevant
> web page directories.
>
> How can I disable email access for these users. ie. I dont want them
> to have an email account, only an account to FTP files to.
>
> The users cannot telnet into our server since I have not given them
> read or execute permission to the default shell ( tcsh ) so they cant
> log onto the machine and use pine, elm, etc.

As long as they have a valid shell specified in their user record, they should
be able to use the FTP login sequence just fine.  They type their username
instead of 'anonymous' at the ftp login prompt, and their real password as the
password prompt.  Whether they can run the shell or not is a different matter.
 :-)

Is that somewhat clear?