Date:      27 Jan 2002 12:51:00 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libgal.so.2

On Sun, 2002-01-27 at 11:19, Radhika Sambamurti wrote:
> hello,
> I built bonobo enabled gnumeric 1.01 from the ports system.
> The build was fine. It installed fine too. I am running
> freebsd 4.4.
> Every time I try to start gnumeric I get this message:
> /usr/libexec/...ld.so : libgal.so.1 not found.
> What exactly is libgal.so.1?
> which package/port should i install so that I have it on my
> system. I have done a find, but the file does not exist on
> my system.
> I am not currently on the freebsd mailing list, so replies
> have to be directly addressed to me. I will greatly
> appreciate any help on this topic. Thanks.

gal is a shared library that provides GUI functionality to applications
like Gnumeric and Evolution.  Everytime it updates, it has a tendency to
rev its shared library number.  Sounds like Gnumeric is linked against
the older version of gal.

Since GNOME wants all of its components to be up-to-date and in sync,
you should probably cvsup the latest ports tree (Gnumeric is up to
1.0.3), and rebuild Gnumeric against the latest libgal (with is
libgal.so.19 as of this writing).  If you're using GNOME, a good way to
do the update is:

portupgrade -r ORBit

If you just want Gnumeric, use portupgrade -R gnumeric.  The portupgrade
tool can be found in sysutils/portupgrade.

Joe