Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 19:54:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any operational code using mmap() on FreeBSD ?

> >The question is what are the failure modes on 2.1.  If there aren't any,
> >you should upgrade to resolve the problem.  If there are, and they are
> >more severe, you should report them to be corrected, since 2.1 *is*
> >being maintained (in the form of the 2.2-current).
>
>    Uh, actually, 2.1 is being maintained seperately from 2.2-current.

I have a "seat of my pants" feeling that there are still minor problems -
i.e. I have a bug that is biting me in the butt.

Symptom:  INN news server compiled to access active file via mmap().  Every
once in a while, an update to the active file apparently misses (doesn't get
flushed to disk maybe?) and I end up with a symlinking error caused when INN
goes to create a symbolic link to what SHOULD be the next free article
number, and instead discovers that there is already a file with that
number.  I've checked the logs and files religiously each time this happens,
all signs say that INN processed the article for which the active file
increment does not seem to happen.

Frequency:  uptime is currently 8 days.  It has happened twice in the last
three days.  I started testing mmap'ed accesses after discussing the issue
with Mr. Dyson and I set up the system to catch any panics.

Under 2.0.5R I saw the SAME behaviour but it was often followed very
quickly by a crash and reboot.  Two samples under 2.1.0R is not enough to
rule out that this might still happen, of course, so I will continue to run
the system until it either panics or something else interesting happens.
Generally (under 2.0.5R) the system would run fine for several days after a
reboot but would start going into shock around the 7-10 day mark, and I bet
it never made it two weeks without a reboot.  When I turned off mmap,
operations became smooth as silk.

(I just wanted to inject that there is someone else looking at this problem
as well, and provide a status report..)

... Joe