Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 01:38:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        matt <matt@Mlink.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-QUESTIONS <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ethernet, ifconfig... blah

On Sat, 29 May 1999, matt wrote:

> right now, I'm on an iSDN via ppp0 that this machine runs, this machine is
> also connected to another machine next to it via ethernet (ed0). Both
> machine's cards are setup fine, both opererate fine... the problem is,
> that I can't get the two machines to connect.. I've tried with
> ifconfig/route/etc like posted before on the matter.. but It doesn't seem
> to work.. any ideas?
>
> Matt

Just the usual; make sure the green lights come on.  Try a different
cable (is it the right kind of cable--crossover between two computers?)
Check dmesg to make sure both cards are properly found.
add gateway_enable=YES to rc.conf
ifconfig the cards
	ifconfig ed0 10.10.10.1
	ifconfig ep0 10.10.10.2

or whatever for you setup, ping to see if they work, check
ifconfig -au and netstat -rn to see what you got.  Try adding a
default route on each to the other, route add default 10.10.10.2
on the #1 box and v.v.

It the cards are found and working and the cable's good, it should
be straightforward.

	Annelise

You could add more stuff in the ifconfig statements but it should
work anyway.