Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:05:16 -0800
From:      Jim Pazarena <fquest@ccstores.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About Freebsd 7.0 versus 6.3

Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 11:55 AM, Expresso Digital ISP <cesar@expresso.com.br> wrote:
>
>> Hi, my name is Cesar.
>>
>> I'd like to know what is the diference between 7.0 and 6.3 and why create a
>> newest version and after old version.
>>

> 6.X is the last of versions meant primarilly for single processing
> machines (with some after thought payed to multiprocessing).
>
> 7.X is the beginning of the versions specifically designed with
> multiprocessing/cores in mind
>
> Under the hood many things have been changed improved in 7.... the
> offical recommendation is 6.3 is for people who can *NOT* upgrade to 7
> for whatever reason and everyone else should use 7... note as far most
> people can tell there is no "easy" way to upgrade to 7 if you have 6
> installed so you should start with 7

When installing a test of 7.0 B4, I found that directories which I have
traditionally used
(/usr/local/libexec  /usr/local/include  /usr/local/lib
/usr/local/sbin  /usr/local/man/*  etc)
and /etc/make.conf are not visible in a default install. Is this because
the B4 is missing them, or has there
been a serious change in directory & file structure?