Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 1996 17:10:19 +0100 (MET)
From:      Lorenzo Vicisano <vicisano@iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   ac_btime field of acct (process accounting)

As I am interested in evaluating statistics on process arrival time
at a given machine, I thought of using the BSD kernel process
accounting facility. Unfortunately the `ac_btime' field of `acct'
struct only contains seconds since the Epoch (I would like to have
bigger resolution).

One possible solution to the problem is to modify `ac_btime' contents
(not its size) fitting there some bits for fraction of second
without loosing any information on Epoch. To do that you can exploit
the fact that most significant bits of `ac_btime' change very
slowly.

I noticed that `lastcomm' is the only tool that uses that field (is it
true?), so the unique that has to be modified, except `acct_process()'
routine in the kernel.

Any advice/comments?

	Thanks,
	Lorenzo.

 | Lorenzo Vicisano                     | http://www.iet.unipi.it/~vicisano |
 | Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione | e-mail vicisano@iet.unipi.it      |
 | Universita' di Pisa                  | Phone  +39-50-568654              |
 | Via Diotisalvi, 2 56100 PISA, ITALY  | Fax    +39-50-568522              |