Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:16:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        sepotvin@videotron.ca, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD arm port

As an aside about this, we (the Flux research group at the University of
Utah) have a few DEC DNARDs that we're doing some development work on, and
a couple of them spend a fair amount of time idle right now - so we'd be
willing to open them up to a _few_ people who are serious about an ARM
port and want another platform (the DNARDs are StrongARM based NCs.  They
netboot like a charm) on which to work.

If there's interest, let me know and we can work out the access details.
they're on power boxes, have serial consoles you can tip to, etc.

The "few" part is that we're still bringing our research DNARD cluster
online, so space is a bit limited. :)

   -Dave

Lo and behold, Mike Smith once said:

> > Well, thanks for the numerous and helpfull responses. As I was suggested
> > by many I'll try to first get the build tools working on a NetBSD host
> > under arm with egcs (seems to have better arm support from a fast
> > skimming of the source) taking the alpha port as template/example. If
> > that's wanted I'll keep you informed of my progression.
>
> I think you'll find intense interest; certainly from those of us with
> embedded-systems backgrounds.  There are plenty of neat SA-based devices
> out there that would be even more fun to play with under FreeBSD.
>
> What I want *now* is for someone to do a Palm Pilot clone using a
> processor with a PMMU.  8)
>
> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

work: danderse@cs.utah.edu                     me:  angio@pobox.com