Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 23:11:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John Capo" <jc@irbs.com>
To:        boot@mosquito.com (Bruce Bauman)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: confusion about routing

Bruce Bauman writes:

> I am a small ISP with 2 FreeBSD machines, 2 Livingston portmasters, and a Cisco
> router. We were running 'routed -s' on our FreeBSD machines without problems,
> even though I don't know if this was the right thing to do.
>
> We added another domain, so our network interface (de0) now has an alias for
> another address. Now we get messages like this:
>
> Feb  5 10:39:27 itchy routed[647]: deleting route to interface de0 (timed out)
> Feb  5 10:39:27 itchy routed[647]: re-installing interface de0
> Feb  5 10:42:27 itchy routed[647]: deleting route to interface de0 (timed out)
> Feb  5 10:42:27 itchy routed[647]: re-installing interface de0
>
> Any suggestions on what we SHOULD be doing?

The -s flag says to supply routing information.  If routed does
not receive a relpy, it assumes the link is dead and deletes the
route.  My guess is some strangeness with aliases is causing the
route to come and go.

You have to run RIP via routed or gated to see the routes to your
dialups.  If all the interface addresses are on the same subnet,
run routed with -q.  If you are running multiple subnets on the
same Ethernet the best bet is to add static routes in the Portmasters
to the subnets.

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       High performance FreeBSD systems
(305) 792-9551                      Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions