Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:01:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Bug, show-stopper or hardware?! (please CC me in reply)

[Please CC me in your reply]

Earlier tonight I had another very rare complete lock-up *(UGGGGH GRRRR!)*

FreeBSD dhcp.san.rr.com 4.6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE #0:
Wed Aug 14 21:23:26 GMT 2002
murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

I had Gnome's Galeon browser running (which is usually the last program
that runs before a keyboard lock-up) but "GAIM v0.59.2" was in the
foreground (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) and I might have been opening up
too many windows and logging on to my four chat IM names but I had to hit
the hard-reset button on my AMD Athlon 600 box!!  Has anyone had a similar
crash immune to the following symptoms?

All keyboard lights are out.  Pressing NumLock or CapsLock does not toggle
the light display.  Pressing Ctrl-c, -g, -., -\, or Ctrl-Alt-BS does
nothing, nor does Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc.

Could this be a Gnome issue (my lib-bonobo-activation-server or something
is busted so I run Gnome and Sawfish without a panel at the bottom, middle
clicking to open apps and creating new launchers when I need to run an
"application &" :)  Or does this sound like a possible "atkbd" driver flaw or
hardware problem (time to replace the keyboard)?

atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder, Video2Video Services