Date:      Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:56:32 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: excluding a file/dir from a tar file

You may also want to exclude based on a list of files/directories kept in a
file.  From the tar man page:

[  --exclude FILE ]
[ -X, --exclude-from FILE ]

so you could use "--exclude FILE" to exclude a single file, or you could
put all you want to exclude in a text file and use:

tar  -X, /EXCLUDEFILE ...

As for the order of the flags, it's

Oscar

/bin/tar -cvf /dev/st0 -X /usr/local/bin/EXCLUDE /