Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 23:53:46 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        gdr@wcs.uq.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard Shipping Containers

> >>  The great CTM - SUP - CVS  and "who's taking cheap shots at who" debate.
>
> You've all read the arguments (if you are interested -- and I certainly am)
> so I won't burden you with unnecessary context.
>
> I would regard myself as one of Richard's `Joe Users'.  I've followed this
> thread and feel I should give feedback from my perspective.  Someone said
> "Let the users speak" so here goes...
>
> [... lots of kind words omitted...]
>
> A number of questions:-
>
> Is the CVS tree available as ctm deltas or is it only -current and -stable?
yes the deltas are called "cvs-cur" and you will suffer another 200Mb disk
space for it...

> Am I correct in thinking that with an up-to-date CVS tree (maintained by
> sup or ctm) you can create any of the supported source trees in a fully
> consistent and functional state at a time of your choosing?
yes.  +ports  +you can diff versions.

> Also would the only real penalty be extra disk space to keep it all?
about 200M all things counted.

> Finally am I correct in thinking that at the time of a release (either
> SNAP or full release) you could just checkout your own release from your
> locally maintained CVS tree and build it all yourself in a reasonably
> trivial manner even for a moderately unskilled or semi-skilled user?
yes.

You can actually do that with various levels of success at any time.

> Or if I'm way off the planet please let me down gently :-<.
Very funny Scotty, now, please beam up my trousers too! :-)

Thanks for the kind words, your situation more or less fits the profile
for which CTM was intended, and I'm happy to hear that it works for you
too.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.