Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:49:55 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Improved searching for FreeBSD.org web site

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:54:11AM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Actually, I guess I'm a little bitter by this.  I spent a lot of time in the
> recent past working on a search engine replacement for FreeBSD.org, and even
> asked for comments and suggestions on this list (http://www.sprawler.com for
> beta testing).  I also repeatedly asked how I can get it in a "test mode" kind
> of set up to see how well people enjoy it, with NO RESPONSES.

I can understand your frustration.

You got some responses on this list, but maybe people were waiting for
new versions with more improvements.

Continue your project, improve it, do a port with it etc... for the
moment who knows your search engine, out from this list? If you
transform it in a project usable by each person running a webserver, it
will be a great contribution. If you just do it for the FreeBSD website,
of course, you might be frustrated by future choices.

> Now, some corporate web searching company decides to throw this in "as a nice
> gesture", and everyone wants to flock toward it.  The results looked less
> relevant to me on the few searches I tried, and I don't like the interface as
> much (of course, I'm biased).
>
> Heck, I'm offering to babysit the thing and keep it up to date (more than can be
> said about the currently pathetic search engine on the site), and this company
> is looking for a free advertising angle.

Well I don't think they need free advertising from FreeBSD.org to live:)

As I said before, do a port with your search engine solution, improve
it, etc. And if your engine is chosen it will be great, and if it is
not chosen it will be available for many people.

Marc