Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 11:08:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hagen@iesd.auc.dk (Jesper Hagen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Urgent problem with ATI Graphics Expression.

> A year ago we invested in a number of ATI Graphics Expression PCI 2 MB
> DRAM, which ran flawlessly under FreeBSD and XFree 3.1.2.
>
> Half a year ago we ordered a new bunch of these cards because of the
> high stability, and discovered to our suprise, that the could no
> longer do HIGH color nor 1280x1024 under XFree 3.1.2. Well not a
> serious problem...
>
> Right now we have just received a new bunch of the cards which simply
> blanks the screen at the moment when the FreeBSD kernel has been
> loaded and starts probing for devices. This screen remains blank until
> the machine reboots. In other words, not even TEXT MODE is possible
> under FreeBSD with this new shipment.
>
> Has anyone experienced these problems and come up with possible
> solutions?

1)	Boot with "-c" and disable the serial ports until you are
	successfully installed.

2)	Get -stable, -current, or apply the patch in the FAQ to
	the sio.c file, and rebuild a kernel.

3)	Reenable the serial ports.

4)	Call Mach and complain that the IBM standard requires that
	they ignore port 2e8 unless you specifically enable the
	IBM-adapter-compatible video mode (like IBM does) because
	2e8 is the port for Com4:.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---