Date:      Wed, 28 May 2008 08:53:53 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot@lc-words.com>
To:        Eric Zimmerman <heli@mikestammer.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump and remote file fetching

Hi there,

>> Need a word of advice. I use dump to backup my data. All fine. Dump
>> saves compressed *.bz2 files. Nice. All I need now is a way to copy them
>> from the server to a remote backup machine. The problem I am facing is
>> that bz2 files are owned by root:wheel. So if I use scp
>> user@domain.tld:/path/to/*.bz2, it does not have sufficient permissions
>> to fetch the files. I can use sudo, but then I need to interactively
>> type the password, which I would like to avoid.
>>
>> Can you suggest simple ways of getting around this? I don't mind using
>> special tools for the job, especially if they are not too complicated... :)
>>
>> Before firing this email off I took a look at rsync and it seems easy
>> enough to do just what I need but still many thanks for suggestions!
>
> I have been very happy with rsnapshot.  Take that for a spin and see how
> it works for you

I have taken a look at rsnapshot but it seems I am left to deal with the
same problem:

 From their page:
In addition to full paths on the local filesystem, you can also backup
remote systems using rsync over ssh. If you have ssh installed and
enabled (via the cmd_ssh parameter), you can specify a path like:

backup      root@example.com:/etc/     example.com/

This behaves fundamentally the same way, but you must take a few extra
things into account.

a/ The ssh daemon must be running on example.com
b/ You must have access to the account you specify the remote machine,
in this case the root user on example.com.

I do not allow remote root login so what are my options in that case?
How do you deal with such a scenario? Many thanks!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com