Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:46:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI-II vs Ultra-SCSI

> > You should be able to use it with an adapter. I also don't think you would
> > lose much/any performance, unless you are using more bandwidth than the
> > card allows(10MB/s)
>
> Actually, looking through the SCSI FAQ, it appears that the 1542B is
> 5MB/s, the 1542CF gets you 10.

Yeah, I was thinking of Fast SCSI-II, which is 10MB/s.

> I know. I'm trying to upgrade a step at a time. I got a second 1542B for
> free (so far) from a Linux guy. And I plan to send my old controller with
> the current 1gig disk to my Mom, when I get a new disk.

You can get an Asus SC200, which is a Fast SCSI-II for around $65. Its PCI
also. The SC875 goes for around $125 I think, its an Ultra Wide SCSI II.

> I think it was also in the FAQ that *any* current IDE would be higher
> performance than the 1542B. I have a Gigabyte MB with Triton II with
> the 2 EIDE controllers.

Well, maybe. Just don't get a Maxtor. :) Your better off avoiding EIDE,
but thats just my opionion. :)