Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:42:14 +0200
From:      "Odd-Jarle Kristoffersen" <gamuso@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple WAN with DHCP and routing

I've searched around a bit but couldn't find anything about just this topic.
Most articles I've read deals with WAN interfaces having static IP and known
routes which makes it not so hard to setup.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish.

FreeBSD 6.2 box with 3 network interfaces.
WAN1 fxp0 (IP provided by DHCP from DSL provider)
WAN2 xl0 (IP provided by DHCP from DSL provider)
LAN sis0 (192.168.50.0 / 24)

WAN1 is a high-speed symmetrical connection and WAN2 is a slower
asymmetrical connection.

I've earlier used ipfilter and ipnat as a firewall with just one WAN and one
LAN interface. But I have discovered that converting to pf is probably a
must to get this new scenario working. And as I understand it pf does what
ipf/ipnat does anyways - and more, so I won't mind the change.

I have two groups of machines on the LAN segment. IPs from
192.168.50.10through 30 are suppsed to use the WAN1 connection all the
time. These
provide some webservices that should be reached from the WAN1 interface.
Computers in the range 192.168.50.100 to 120 should use the WAN2 connection.
None of these will need to be reached from the outside.

Of course it'd be nice if the computers in this second range could reach the
computers in the first range without being routed over the external network.
I guess a couple of static routes should fix that, if at all needed. This is
only a concern if I have to create two networks on the LAN interface (ie.
192.168.50.1/27 and 192.168.50.96/27 as an alias on the interface).

First of all, is it all possible to perform routing based upon which LAN
adress the traffic is coming from? And will it work when the WAN interfaces
are dynamically assigned?

If not, can a simple fall-over solution be implemented at all? If WAN1 goes
down, that all traffic is automatically routed to WAN2?
 And then back to WAN1 when it comes back up...

I've found out how to configure dhclient using /etc/dhclient.conf so that it
don't overwrite the /etc/resolv.conf file, but am at loss when it comes to
configurating pf and the routing. I've discovered if I leave "request
routers" on just one interface in the /etc/dhclient.conf file this will
become the default gateway for the FreeBSD box. If no such request is stated
at all, there's no default gateway.

Also how will all this work when the WAN DHCP-leases change?

Maybe I'm trying something impossible, but then again who knows...

Thanks for any input on the subject!

O.J. Kristoffersen