Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:11:24 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [loader?] secret to setting root elsewhere?.

> > > #autoboot_delay="10"            # Delay in seconds before autobooting
> > > #console="vidconsole"           # Set the current console
> > > currdev="disk1s1a"              # Set the current device
> > > module_path="/boot/kernel;/boot/modules"        # Set the module search path
> > > #prompt="\\${interpret}"        # Set the command prompt
> > > root_disk_unit="1"              # Force the root disk unit number
> > > rootdev="disk1s1a"              # Set the root filesystem
> > >

> > > but it still loads disk0 as root..
> > >
> > > what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > You don't "load a disk as root".
> >
> > If you mean "it loads the kernel from the wrong place", that's one thing.
> > If you mean "it mounts / from the wrong filesystem", then you should be
> > aware that the loader reads /etc/fstab, and the kernel will mount
> > whatever you've put in there.
>
> YUUUKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!
>
> I'm specifying a different place because the place where fstab is is SCREWED!!!!

Ah, shut yer trap.  It reads /etc/fstab from wherever the kernel is
loaded from, and if /etc/fstab is hosed/can't be parsed, it'll fall back
to trying to guess using the old algorithms.  The new behaviour is a
functional superset of the old.

> but it will let me do what I want.

Of course, you don't actually bother to mention what your problem is, so
I still can't actually *help* you.