Date:      Wed, 09 Sep 1998 14:47:07 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-Release suggestions

I know that the issue of when to branch 3.1 has been discussed
somewhat already, but I'd like to add a suggestion. It seems to me that
the best time to do it would be when the 3.0-BETA tag goes on. This
would allow some of the last minute things to be banged on in HEAD even
during the beta period. There are probably other advantages to this
timing, I'd love to hear discussion about it though. I haven't seen much
and the day is quick upon us.

    The other issue that I think is important is having some *detailed*,
step-by-step instructions available on the web page for people who will
be moving from 2.2.x to 3.0-Beta. We definitely want lots of people beta
testing the new stuff, and some detailed instructions will help get more
people involved, and forestall the inevitable rash of questions that
will come as part of the process. The sooner this is produced (after the
remaining dust has settled prior to the beta period of course) the
better off we will be. I would volunteer to do this myself but I don't
know what the issues are. :)  I will be looking for help too as I move
away from the 2.x branch for the first time in my FreeBSD life. I do
have more time on my hands this month, so I'd be glad to help with the
other documentation issues during the transition, hopefully there will
be more talk about that on the -doc list.

Hope this is of use,

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

At Barry (a small town in south Wales) hidden cameras have had to be
installed to keep watch on the town's CCTV [Closed Circuit Television]
to record acts of vandalism against the CCTV. - Privacy Forum