Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 1996 12:32:49 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBUI and/or IPX routing?

>> IPXrouted will answer SAP and RIP requests, so you won't have problems if
>> you have a server on one net and hosts (IPX) on the other. The handling of
>> SAP and RIP requests is described in the "IPX Router Specification" that is
>> available from Novell.
>
>One SAP broadcast is made every 55 seconds for each service a server
>has available.
>
>It is possible to rebroadcast SAP packets without problems, up to a
>hop count of 16.
>
>The problem in the case of a proxy response is that your "router" must
>rebroadcast the "GetNearestServer" NCP, *or* it must be capable of making
>a proxy response the the NCP broadcast in such a way as the AttachServer
>used by the client will attach to the server being proxied rather than
>the machine doing the proxy response.
>

>This is complicated by the fact that I can request service ID's (for
>instance, I could request "Novell Virtual Terminal" or NVT servers
>respond, rather than file servers).
>
>The GetNearestServer request is a broadcast NCP.  It is used by client
>machines starting up to locate a server on the local wire.  For a proxy
>response, this would be the machine in the local bindery (SAP broadcast
>information is stored as tempory bindery objects in the local server's
>bindery -- under 4.x, this is done with bindery emulation as a local
>to each server NDS object).

This is not generally true. A true IPX router maintains a server table and a
routing
table and responds to requests directly. All such requests are handled
locally, and
traffic is only routed once a destination network number has been determined. I
wouldn't call them "proxies" per se....they are simply maintaining a map no
unlike
some high level routing protocols for the IP world.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX