Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 16:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, (Andreas Klemm) <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Subject:   Re: Good Lord, Commercial Linux

Hi Terry Lambert;  On 05-Oct-97 you wrote:
> > Or did you compare things like the speed of rm -rf on a large
> > directory tree without recognizing, that FreeBSD doesn't do
> > asynchronous I/O to a file system as default ?!
> >
> > Please facts here.
>
>  Sure.  No problem. Repeat the test ten times.  For five of them,
>  switch the machine off halfway through.  Verify that the last file
>  it said it removed was in fact the same or only one file away from
>  the last file actually removed.
>
>  Who else has screwed up deleteing, and hit the power to save their
>  bacon?  I'm not proud: I admit doing it.

I have never done that! :-)
The power switch bit, that is.

I hope my message in this thread is clear:

    Overall, FreeBSD is superior to Linux, and in more than one way.
    The functionality is very similar, and in many areas, so is the
    performance.
    Where functionality differences exist, they are minor, in most cases.
    The flow of knwoledge and sources back and forth is too great for this
    not to be true (for more than few relase cycles).

I chose FreeBSD ove Linux for reasons other than above.  Is it a much
easier environment to be in?  Normally yes, but not necessarily always.
Am I willing to absorb the difficulties?  Absolutely!

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313