Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:46:29 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Canon Pixma iP4500 - problem with colours

I've just installed a Canon Pixma iP4500 on a 6.3 system using CUPS and
gutenprint. Black printing is fine but I've got problems with colours.
The colour wheel on the CUPS test page comes out as a psychedelic
collection of brightly coloured rings. If I print from gimp then the
correct colours appear but they are very dark and "muddy". The colours
start to look a bit more reasonable from the gimp if I push the gamma
value up to 2.

This isn't a physical problem with the printer, I get good results when
printing from Windows.

Should I be able to get correct colour rendering "out of the box" or do
I have to fiddle about with the multitude of output control adjustments
available on the CUPS admin panel?

Or should I be using something other than CUPS, that's what I've always
used so far but I'm happy to try alternatives if necessary.

--
Mike Clarke