Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:11:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Julian C. Dunn" <jdunn@aquezada.com>
To:        Lonewolf <lonewolf@apotheosis.za.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd won't do X11 forwarding

On 22-Mar-99 Lonewolf wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 1999 at 10:06:39PM -0500, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
>> I've installed sshd on a 2.2.8-S box, and although I can ssh into it fine,
>> it won't do X11 forwarding. It says "warning: X11 forwarding denied by
>> server, perhaps xauth could not be run?" However, I have checked to see that
>> xauth is in everyone's default path, and ordinary users can run it.
>
> Have you checked your tcp_wrapper setup (if you have it installed) and your
> /usr/local/etc/sshd_config?

I'm not running tcp_wrappers. Is it necessary? Also, here's my sshd_config.
I see that "X11Fowarding" is "on".

Also, to the person who suggested I run xdm, I want to be able to do it without
running X on the box all the time; it's a box with neither very much memory or
CPU to spare, so I'm trying to cut down on the amount of things running on it
at one time.

Port 22
ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
HostKey /usr/local/etc/ssh_host_key
RandomSeed /usr/local/etc/ssh_random_seed
ServerKeyBits 768
LoginGraceTime 600
KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
PermitRootLogin yes
IgnoreRhosts no
StrictModes yes
QuietMode no
X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
FascistLogging no
PrintMotd yes
KeepAlive yes
SyslogFacility AUTH
RhostsAuthentication no
RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
RSAAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes
PermitEmptyPasswords yes
UseLogin no

[     Julian C. Dunn - jdunn@aquezada.com  WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/   ]
[ programmer, web designer, unix user, fumbler, writer, and future engineer]
[ FuE exfe94 a+++ Ifte/slc lonca r- ps++ bs+ t++/*t C+++$/C! w+++ p7 LF+++ ]
[N++/N! cd260 pr++ g+++ S-/S *x++ Fa+++/Fa$/Fa! m1 b+ fc+++/ E>+ rl-- *d s!]
[   "you're cruel and unkind when i can't read your mind " - lenni jabour  ]