Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:56:55 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        linimon@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/67626: X crashes an alpha machine, resulting reboot

On Monday 19 June 2006 08:45, Kazuyoshi Furutaka wrote:
> From: FreeBSD bugmaster <bugmaster@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Current problem reports assigned to you
> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:02:44 GMT
>=20
> > Serious problems
> >=20
> > S  Submitted   Tracker     Resp.       Description
> > -----------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D-------
> (snip)
> > s [2004/06/06] alpha/67626 alpha       X crashes an alpha machine, resu=
lting reb
>=20
> From: Mark Linimon <linimon@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: alpha/67626: X crashes an alpha machine, resulting reboot
> Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:39:17 GMT
>=20
> > Synopsis: X crashes an alpha machine, resulting reboot
> >=20
> > State-Changed-From-To: feedback->suspended
> > State-Changed-By: linimon
> > State-Changed-When: Sun Oct 23 18:38:28 GMT 2005
> > State-Changed-Why:=20
> > Feedback was received quite some time ago.  Mark as 'suspended' since it
> > seems no one has looked at this in quite some time.
> >=20
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D67626
>=20
> It's been a while since this was marked as 'suspended'.
>=20
> I'd like to uninstall FreeBSD and install some other OS
> if it's going to be left untouched and be kept 'suspended'
> further.

We'd really need a stacktrace to help.  It would also be useful to know
if more recent versions of the OS (such as 6.1) exhibit the same problems.

As far as getting serial console working, you don't need to create a
/boot.config file (that is i386-specific).  However, you need to get SRM
to use the serial console and then the loader and kernel will use it.  It's
been a while since I set it up, but I would look at your SRM variables and
see if there's a CONSOLE variable you can set to SERIAL instead of VIDEO
(IIRC).  You can then try running 'init' from SRM to restart SRM which
should then show up on your serial console.  You might be able to find more
definitive instructions on using SRM with a serial console via a web search.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org