Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:11:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Kazem Akbari <akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, Kazem Akbari <akbari@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>, freebsd@freebsd.com, xfree86@xfree86.com, questions@xfree86.com
Subject:   Re: Question regarding CD-Drive access and XF86

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Kazem Akbari wrote:

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> |==>
> |==> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Kazem Akbari wrote:
> |==>
> |==> >    It has been  for past three weeks which  I am struggling to install
> |==> > and test the XFree86 on my computer but in spite of all my efforts the
> |==> > resolution is really terrible and  I cannot do anything  to fix it.
> |==>
> |==> It would be nice if you would tell us what the problem is :)
>

> The problem is,  the resolution of my X-window  is  terrible, in other
> words the cursor scrolls down, up, left, and right out of the frame of
> my monitor, I mean  some of the  windows  are not visiible unless  you
> point the curser  to the sides of  monitor's screen.  In addition, the

This problem is caused by a feature of X called virtual screens.  I hate
that too.  To disable that, go into your XF86Config file (mine is in
/etc, maybe yours is too?) and locate the lines that set the virtual
widnow size (search for VIRTUAL).  You will see two numbers following the
virtual token, which shows the horizontal and vertical virtual size.  Set
thses both to 0, and the virtual feature will disappear.

> Ctl-Alt-+ is not working for the  recycling of the resolution.  In the
> mean time, there are three windows in the  X-window (login, xterm, and
> xterm) environment, but the problem  is, my T-shell facilities are not
> working properly (i.e., aliases).  And also when I click on the "exit"
> of the   icon-menu to get  out  the X-window,   only the icon-menu get
> disappeared but  the system  does not shut  down the  X-window, so the
> only solution  is to type  Ctl-Alt-BackSpace to get out  the X-window.
> Therefore, I tried to  fix the problems  by having access to the extra
> CD-rom from vendor (Walnut Creek), but I couldn't mount it because the
> message says: mount: Command not found. I believe  the cdrom device is
> not  configured.  Anyways, any  help  is  appreciated  to solve  these
> problems.
>

> |==> > In
> |==> > the  mean time, I do not  know how to have  access to  CD-Drive in the
> |==> > Unix system to read from (i.e., %> D: in DOS for example).  It will be
> |==> > greatly   appreciated  if you give me    a detailed direction  for the
> |==> > successful installation  of  the  XFree86  and having access   to  the
> |==> > "Floppy  and  CD drivers".
>

> |==> What UNIX are you using?  FreeBSD?  If so, I need to know what kind of
> |==> CDROM you have, where it is connected, and some generic machine details
> |==> (cpu, disks, etc).
>
> I am using the FreeBSD 2.1, and other information is as follows:
>
> CD: 6x internal from TEAC
> Floppy: 1.44 from NEC
> CPU: Intel Pentum 133 MHz
> Motherboard: Endeavor II, with Triton Chipset and 512kb Pipline-Burst Cache
> RAM: 32MB EDO (60ns)
> Hard: 2.1 GB EIDE from Seagate
> Graphic: Diamond Stealth-64 Video VRAM (model 3400XL) with 4MB VRAM
> Monitor: CTX 1785GMe .26 dp and (1280x1024)
>
> I hope it's enough. Should you have any further question don't
> hesitate to drop me a note.
>

> > Doug White                              | University of Oregon
> > Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
> > http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major
>

> Kazem Akbari.
> --

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.