Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 06:42:08 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stale translations

This has probably been brought up before, but I can't find anything in
the archives: what do we do about stale translations?  For certain
things, no documentation is better than old, outdated, misleading
documentation.  Practices and procedures change, and it's better to
have somebody ask someone about it instead of being misled by an
outdated document.

I'm not talking about translations which lag behind the real version
for a month or two; we have some that haven't been updated in
literally years, and have nobody actively updating them or working on
them; some still document RELENG_2_2!

So, what can we do about them?  We can obviously remove them; the
original translators probably won't like this, but we can always bring
them back if somebody wants to work on them.  Another alternative
would be to post a big warning on the front of each document saying
it's so obsolete as to be nearly useless (we'd need to find somebody
who speaks the language, which may not be easy).  Anything else?

Thanks,

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org

P.S.  This applies equally to the web site translations.