Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 01:01:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        wayne@crb-web.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poll() vs select()

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/Pine.LNX.3.95.990702160538.27513C-100000@crb.crb-web.com> you write:
> >now supports the select() and poll() system calls.  My question is really one
> >of usage.  Why would one us poll() over select()?  Is select eventually going
> >to go away for some reason?
>
> select() as a user-level call will never go away; there is a large base
> of code that uses it.
>
> poll() is faster (it doesn't have to do bit twiddling), and it's interface
> is cleaner (it can report invalid fd's, something select() can't do).  As
> its functionality is a superset of select()'s, it is used as the internal
> implementation for select().

Actually, select() doesn't require horrendous amounts of copyin()s, which
poll() does. So have you benchmarked the two? I'd expect select to be faster.

> As for new code, use whichever you are comfortable with.  Personally, I
> would recommend poll(), since it provides some added functionality over
> select() that makes for easier programming.

poll() is a huge pain to use, which is why I recommend select().

> --
> Jonathan

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/